>In 1970’s and 1980’s there were concerns from many people about how the then broadcast media was dominated by the very few developed countries. Most channels carried American Movies and serials.
These concerns about unbalanced media coverage around the world was coined as New World Information and Communication Order (NWICO).
Some of the main concerns of NWICO were:
- Broadcast mass media was dominated by few developed countries America, England and France mainly. There was almost a one-sided flow of information from developed countries to poorer countries. Very little news flowed the other way, and often news about developing countries was distorted or rejected by media houses. Thus these countries were not represented in the media broadcasts.
- These poor populations saw mostly American channels and were influenced by it. Their culture was not reflected in the media thus there were culture shocks, disparities and trends in developing countries started aping the ‘west’.
- Most of the radio frequency almost 90% of the band was taken by the US! It was mainly used for military purposes.
- The developed countries were quickly sending satellites in space, and taking up the few positions in space where it is cheap and easy to keep satellites. In a few years when developing countries would need to send satellites these places would be filled up making it even more difficult for them to bridge the gap.
- Many of these satellites sent up had military, commercial and analytic abilities which allowed the developed nation to figure out natural resources of poorer countries.
The UNESCO acknowledged these concerns and set up a commission under Sean MacBride. This was known as MacBride Commission, they came out with a report “Many Voices, One World”. Also part of this commission was acclaimed author Gabriel Garcia Marquez
They came up with a really long report with approx 80 points stating how the media should evolve so as to make it fair and peaceful for the world.
US and UK felt this was restricting free press and saw no need to curb their gains. They left the UNESCO over this matter and rejoined it only in 2003 and 1997 respectively.
Hello There..Professionally into social media & digital marketing since 2008. Here I share my work insights and thoughts. Infrequent posting since many years, owing to my other two blogs on Travel & Spirituality. :) For my work services you can check: www.digiwhirl.com Best way to contact me is via Twitter: @priyankawriting Email: priyankawriting(@)gmail(.)com
- Work Year 2017: In a Globally Distributed Team
- Higher Content Visibility but with Clutter: A Nuance on Social Media Virality
- 3 Common Email Marketing Challenges & Workaround
- Setting Up An Email Marketing Channel: Essentials You Must Know
- Work Year 2016: Working In-house v/s Agency
- Sony Founder, Akio Morita’s Autobiography: ‘Made in Japan’
- Branding For Early Stage Startups