DigiWhirl has recently entered its third year of operations and since sometime now I feel I have done a decent bit of challenging work to consider myself an entrepreneur. I have also been noticing that there are so many entrepreneurs around me, I never really thought much between job and running your own company until now. So decided to write about these people, and the first one I decided should be my grand-dad – Bipin !!
My grand-dad is the eldest of three sons who left their Gujarat home town of Bharuch and came to Mumbai post their education. He successfully ran a business for many years and his is a rags to riches story. Being a common village boy with a sliver of land back in the village he grew his business sucesfully enough to be a decently wealthy south mumbai resident!
Business: Selling novel goods to interested parties.
How did you start your business?
I was a cotton salesman and visited many big companies as part of my job. During one of my visits to Raymonds I met Mr. Singhania – the owner of the company. He was fond of certain novelty pens and other products. He was looking out to buy more of such stuff. I had a contact who sold these things and thus I made my first sales! The profit was a lot more than my job, so just continued on this new line of work from then on!
How did you sustain your business?
Customers kept coming via word of mouth. Never needed any other form of marketing.
Business secret: gave the customers products without collecting money at the time. I would collect the money later, sometimes even after months! Hence, they would only buy from me and no one else. Others would insist on money there and then!
Advise to other entrepreneurs
Tell all your contacts about your business, on its own work will start coming in!
Hello There..I am social media marketeer based in Mumbai, India. I have a virtual social media marketing company with a team of 5 people. This blog is a place I express my insights and thoughts :)
- Entrepreneur Spotlight: @R113 aka Rajesh Punjabi “The Challenge to Let Go”
- How an Awesome Workplace can be your Social Content Strategy! #4 Asana
- 6 Social Crowd-Sourced Campaign Strategies
- How an Awesome Workplace can be your Social Content Strategy! #3 Amboli Jcombinator
- 6 Social Content Strategies for Hospitals
- How an Awesome Workplace can be your social content strategy! #2 The Corcoran Group
- How an Awesome Workplace can be your social content strategy! #1 Vriksha Nursery
- How an Awesome Workplace can be your Social Content Strategy! #4 Asana - Priyanka Writing on How an Awesome Workplace can be your social content strategy! #1 Vriksha Nursery
- 5 Indian Social Media Articles Worth Reading This Weekend on How an Awesome Workplace can be your Social Content Strategy! #3 Amboli Jcombinator
- Social Media Content Strategy Tips on How an Awesome Workplace can be your social content strategy! #1 Vriksha Nursery
- Priyanka Dalal on My Life @ Isha Yoga Center
- AnanthVitlani on Content Strategy – Current & Happening News – Gangnam Style